It’s back-to-school season, and September is time to hit the books. Craft books, that is! Big, beautiful craft books. Stunning photography. Crisp, glossy pages. Hard covers or soft. We just love craft books, and we know you do, too. All month long, we will celebrate modern craft books by reviewing new releases, interviewing authors and editors who make the magic happen, and crafting projects from the books we spotlight.
What’s in Store?
Weekly craft book giveaways, a month-long linky party for craft book projects (see below), and a chance for you to learn from our experts. If you’ve ever dreamed of writing a craft book, we also have some fantastic tips on how to get your book published!
Find out what catches an editor’s eye from Allison Korleski, Acquisitions Editor for Interweave Books. It may be simpler than you think!
Stay true to your vision while working agents and publishers. See how Shelly and Karen from Patterns by Figgy’s did just that with their first book, Sewing for Boys (Wiley Publishing).
Learn how to pitch a book with Tonia Davenport, Acquisitions Editor for North Light Craft / F+W Media. She’s got some great tips for aspiring craft book authors.
From blog to book deal. How did she do it? Ask Jessica Levitt, author of new release Modern Mix (Stash Books / C&T).
Thinking about opening your own patterns shop, and maybe writing a book, too? Meet Kay Whitt, author of the new book Sew Serendipity Bags (North Light).
Linky Party with Giveaways!
In honor of Craft Book Month, we are hosting a linky party all month long to celebrate. From September 1st through 30th, you may link up one of your favorite craft book projects below for a chance to win some fabric, books, patterns and more. The prizes include:
One winner: Doodle Stitching book + Japanese fabric from Craft Buds
One winner: Autographed CosmoGIRL Cool Room book + Kona Charm Pack from Craft Buds
One winner: Cloth Paper Scissors book (from Interweave), Paper + Craft book and Fiskars decorative-edged scissors from Craft Buds
One winner: The Practical Guide to Patchwork book courtesy of Dewberry Lane.Â (Dewberry Lane is also offering free U.S. shipping on all orders placed during September with the code FREESHIP. Check out her books and patterns.)
One winner: $25 shop credit to My Little Sunshine Handmade
One winner: 2 sewing patterns of your choice from Pattern Patti
One winner: Three vintage sewing patterns; selections from Goofing Off
Ready to share your craft book project? Hereâ€™s what you need to do to participate: Â (Please read carefully)
- Create a NEW blog post. Share one project you’ve made from a sewing or general craft book and let us know which book it came from. The project doesnâ€™t have to be brand new, never seen before on your blog â€“ just something you’ve whipped up in the past that you love.
- One entry per person. Everyone who links up to the party with the Craft Book Month button will be eligible for our sponsored giveaways!
- Link back to Craft Book Month in your post. Â You can do this with a button, just copy and paste the HTML code into your post.Â
- Share the direct link to your post in the linky below. Right click on your post URL to copy link address, then paste it in the linky.
- Visit some of the other craft book projects and be inspired! If you are on Flickr, you may also add your photos to the Craft Buds group pool; however, you must also link up the URL of your Flickr post to this linky to be eligible for prizes.
- Random winners from the linky party will be announced on October 1, 2011. Giveaways open worldwide. Stay tuned for additional craft book giveaways to be held each week in September (winners announced on Fridays) which will be open to both bloggers and non-bloggers.
Subscribe to Craft Buds now so you don’t miss any Q&As, projects, or giveaways! We’ll also update this page with links to each interview, so feel free to bookmark or pin it. Pin It
I am attaching a link to my blog, the code for the link back to the Craft Book Month is not working and is not displaying correctly on my site. Just wanting to see if it is something that I did wrong?
Very fun!!!! I’ll be going through my books to see what I’ll be sewing to participate! 🙂
What a great lineup of guest-bloggers (and prizes!). Looking forward to reading along!!
I wish I could get the button on my post! I went into html and added the button, but I just get a blank box. How do I get the button in the post?
Hey! Thanks for getting back to me with the button fix. It’s working great now.
Thanks also for the introduction so so many crafty sewing books. I’m looking forward to checking them out.
Great idea for a theme! My mom did a post on our blog all about old craft books!
Great prizes and great idea! Thanks so much for the opportunity!
Does a magazine count as a book? I have started sewing from Ottobre, but don’t have any books.
Hi Deanna! Books only for this contest, but you can feel free to check out books from the library or I’d also suggest looking at our free pattern feature for the last couple weekends, with free patterns excerpted from books!
This is such an awesome idea! Can’t wait to rummage through some of craft books and share my inspiration! Thanks so much for sharing your fun at the Pink Hippo Party.. can’t wait to join in!
Thanks for sharing at Bacon Time.
Comments are closed.