How often have you had a hard time choosing between style and comfort? Wait till you hear about the perfect solution – crochet tank tops! I love the idea of cute, breezy tops that are perfect for summer. And the fun part is, they’re easy to make using tutorials. Hence, I’ve compiled an assortment of free crochet tank top patterns with step-by-step instructions.
These include classic and simple hip-length vests. For different seasons and occasions, you’ll find other unique and fun designs inspired by crop tops, camisoles, etc.
These handmade crochet tops are great for making a statement and showing off your personality, taste, and creativity. So check out the crochet tank top patterns and tutorials and give your wardrobe a spin by adding to it a boho chic quality and textured beauty.
Table of Contents
- 1 How to Crochet an Easy Tank Top
- 2 21 Free Crochet Tank Top Patterns
- 2.1 1. Beginner Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.2 2. Granny-Square Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.3 3. Summertime Crochet Tank Top
- 2.4 4. Winter Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.5 5. Lacy Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.6 6. Peplum Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.7 7. Stylish Crochet Crop Tank Top Pattern
- 2.8 8. Plus-size Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.9 9. Cami Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.10 10. Strappy Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.11 11. Beach Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.12 12. Button-down Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.13 13. Fringe Hem Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.14 14. Boho Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.15 15. Crochet Halter Tank Top Pattern
- 2.16 16. Ruffle Neck Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.17 17. Casual Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.18 18. Vest Cardigan Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.19 19. Ombre Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.20 20. Kids Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.21 21. Infant Crochet Tank Top Pattern
- 2.22 More Crochet Patterns & Tutorials
- 3 Crochet Tank Top Patterns: FAQs
- 4 DIY Crochet Tank Tops for the Creative and Fashion-forward Souls
How to Crochet an Easy Tank Top
When we hear “tank tops,” the first thing that pops into the mind is a close-fitting sleeveless vest for the hot season. It has thick shoulder straps and a hemline ending at the hip area. But there are many more fun designs for crochet tanks, including halter tops or camisole-style crochet tank tops.
They can be short and loose, have spaghetti straps or a V-neck, and be designed to be worn on both hot and cold days. Add to that the touch of crochet, and you’ll have a lacy quality that’s free-spirited and unique.
If you’re new to the crochet world and eager to craft your first top, don’t miss our beginner-friendly tutorial – ‘Crocheting 101: How to Crochet a Top Step-by-Step.’ Dive into the basics, unravel expert tips, and watch as every stitch you make transforms into a beautiful creation!
What Do You Need to Crochet a Tank Top?
A crochet tank top is a flexible project you can tailor according to your choice. Here’s everything you’re going to need for it:
- Crochet hook
- Measuring tape
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch markers
How Many Skeins of Yarn Do You Need to Crochet a Tank Top?
A tank top may require 2-7 skeins of yarn, depending on the top’s size, length, pattern, and design. Most simple tank top designs in medium size need 3-6 skeins of yarn.
A skein can have 50-1000 yards of yarn, though the length is usually 100-200 yards if the yarn is for common crochet projects.
How to Make a Crochet Tank Top: Tips
Crocheting a DIY tank top is considered a medium-difficulty project. That means you don’t need to be an expert at the craft to make a top, but you’ll need to have a grip on the basic skills.
Here are a few tips before you start:
- Pick the pattern and design carefully, based on your skills. Go through the instructions thoroughly before you begin.
- Practice the basic stitches and patterns. Also, brush up your skills to keep the edges straight and the tension even so your project doesn’t change shape.
- Get the right yarn and matching hook for your project.
- Commonly, the yarn of choice for tops are – fingering (2 ply), sports weight (5 ply), and worsted/aran (10 ply).
- Hooks measuring 2.25-3 mm for fingering yarn, 3.5-4.5 mm for sports weight yarn, and 5.5-6.5 mm for worsted yarn are recommended. Check our Crochet Hook Size Chart.
The most important thing is to experiment and have fun. But for starters, here’s a video of a simple crochet tank top tutorial to help improve your skills before you’re ready to flaunt your DIY top!
21 Free Crochet Tank Top Patterns
Now that you have your materials and have brushed up on your basic skills, it’s time to find the perfect crochet tank top pattern.
Below is a list of 21 crochet tank top patterns and tutorials – all free to use! So check them out.
1. Beginner Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Nothing beats simplicity, and this tank top is the perfect example of “less is more.” It’s a classic must-have in your wardrobe. You can make it in various colors to pair with any bottom.
Find the step-by-step guide to this DIY crochet tank top here.
2. Granny-Square Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Granny squares are a thing of classic beauty. And you can use them to make this fun tank top with a blast of colors. It’s perfect on its own or as a layer over a blouse.
Check out the instructions for making this crochet tank top here.
3. Summertime Crochet Tank Top
With its translucent neck and back, this tank top feels so comfy to look at! It’s a simple and elegant addition to your summer collection. Use any color you want for a pop!
Here are the instructions for making this top.
4. Winter Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Tank tops aren’t just for summer fun! This tank top is ideal for layering on a blouse during cold days. Its horizontal stripes and ribbed bottom go well with a blazer, too.
Here is the tutorial to crochet this tank top.
5. Lacy Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Here’s a stylish body-fitting top that can look elegant in white. It has a sensual quality, as the sheer back and midriff area play peek-a-boo with the imagination of the onlooker.
Find this crochet tank top’s instructions here.
6. Peplum Crochet Tank Top Pattern
This top is ideal for showing off your curves. It’s cinched at the waist, and the ruffles flatter the hips. You can take it from casual to elegant chic with a blazer or shrug.
Find the detailed guide to make this top here.
7. Stylish Crochet Crop Tank Top Pattern
Here’s a nifty idea for a crochet tank top inspired by crop tops! Its hemline is a little above where the usual tank top ends. You can pair this top with high-waisted pants and long shrugs.
You’ll find the details of this design here.
8. Plus-size Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Here’s a crochet tank top for days when you just want to unwind. Its elongated bodice ends with a not-too-obvious frill for a loose, flowy fit that can complement any body shape.
Take a look at the design guide here.
9. Cami Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Another tank top that breaks the rules, this one is inspired by a camisole with lacy edges and spider stitches. It’s also a fairly simple project to make for new DIYers.
Check out the guidelines here.
10. Strappy Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Another great use of granny squares! This tank top is a bolder inspiration from the cami-style design, with eye-catching colors. It’s the perfect breezy top for hot days.
Here are the detailed instructions to make this tank top.
11. Beach Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Check out this sheer tank top! It shows that there are no rules and restrictions in fashion! Though tank tops usually don’t expose the midriff, this one does.
Here are the steps to make this crochet tank top.
12. Button-down Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Are you a fan of classic feminine fashion? Then you’re going to love this one! Its front buttons and shoulder ties give it a retro look and a fun and youthful quality.
Take a look at the pattern here.
13. Fringe Hem Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Check out this timeless must-have for all seasons! It’s lacy and gauzy to suit your summer style – and can transition into a winter top when you use it as a layer.
Find the step-by-step guide for making this top here.
14. Boho Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Here’s a tank top that brings many elements together – granny squares, spaghetti straps, wide lacy stitches, and fringes. The end result is a tank top as whimsical as you!
Take a look at the guide to make this Boho tank top here.
15. Crochet Halter Tank Top Pattern
This light and airy tank top can add a touch of sophistication to your summer ensemble. Pick any color of your choice to brighten up your day, or go for the classic white.
Here are the instructions for making this crochet halter tank top.
16. Ruffle Neck Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Ruffles can be a load of cuteness – this tank top is the perfect example. Its frills gather in the best area and can flatter your curves, irrespective of your body type.
Check out the instructions here.
17. Casual Crochet Tank Top Pattern
This tank top has the look and feel of a sweater, making it a spring staple. You can pair it with denim pants, and it will look great under a summer jacket. And it’s easy to make.
Check out the free pattern for this top here.
18. Vest Cardigan Crochet Tank Top Pattern
This tank top screams summer breeziness thanks to the sleeveless design and V-shaped neckline. Meanwhile, the button-up front makes it a unique option for a tank.
Take a look here to find the free instructions.
19. Ombre Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Here’s your chance to play with colors. Pick any color of your choice, red, orange, blue, and go wild with its shades. Plus, this top has a flare that adds to the summer vibe.
Here are the instructions to make this crochet tank top.
20. Kids Crochet Tank Top Pattern
If you have an opinionated kid or teen at home, here’s something they will not object to. This tank top is light and airy, with an eye-catching finish. And it can fit any body type.
Here is the detailed guide to making this tank top.
21. Infant Crochet Tank Top Pattern
Why not introduce your little one to fashion and creativity early? This adorable DIY tank top is perfect for toddlers. And it’s easy to slip on, thanks to the square neckline.
Here are the steps to make this DIY crochet tank top.
More Crochet Patterns & Tutorials
- How to Crochet a Tube Top – Video Tutorial
- 30 Free Crochet Scarf Patterns for All Skill Levels
- 21 Stylish Free Crochet Crop Top Patterns
- 32 Free Crochet Sweater Patterns For All Seasons
- 23 Free Crochet Cardigan Patterns
- How to Crochet a Top
- How to Crochet a Basic Beanie Hat
Crochet Tank Top Patterns: FAQs
Q: How long does it take to crochet a tank top?
A: The time needed to crochet a tank top depends on the pattern, stitch, skills, and speed. It can take as little as half an hour if you’re fast or want to make a simple top. But if you pick a complex pattern or are just figuring out crocheting, it may need several hours.
Q: Are crochet tank tops easy to crochet?
A: Crochet tank tops are considered medium-difficulty projects for beginners. It can be easy to make once you practice and keep crocheting. Of course, the difficulty level also depends on the type of stitches and patterns you choose.
Q: What do you wear under a crochet tank top?
A: On hot days, you can wear a bralette or bandeau under a tank top, especially if it is a gauzy one with large stitches. Or, you can wear a nude camisole under an opaque crochet tank top. If it’s cold, you can put on a tank top over a long-sleeved blouse.
Q: How do I wash and care for my crochet clothing?
A: Wash crochet clothes with a mild liquid laundry soap formulated for wool instead of detergent powder or capsules. Gentle hand washing instead of stretching and twisting is a must. Also, keep them flat instead of hanging them for drying, and stow them in bags or storage bins.
DIY Crochet Tank Tops for the Creative and Fashion-forward Souls
Yarn and crochet hooks can be your tool of choice for projecting your creative energy. And when you can crochet simple yet fashionable tank tops, you can flaunt the wearable art crafted with love – in every season.
So, pick your favorite from our list of free crochet tank top patterns with tutorials and write your fashion story.